Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Student targeted in 2013 attack at Calvin Hunsinger School sues Pinellas district

In 2013, Vanessa Chauvin, then 14, was attacked by another student at Calvin A. Hunsinger School. She has filed a lawsuit.

Times (2013)

In 2013, Vanessa Chauvin, then 14, was attacked by another student at Calvin A. Hunsinger School. She has filed a lawsuit.

It's been four years since Vanessa Chauvin left Calvin Hunsinger School in an ambulance after a classmate grabbed her ponytail and repeatedly kneed her stomach and face.

Fourteen years old at the time, she suffered a concussion, broken jaw and cracked eye socket. At the time, her parents vowed to sue the Pinellas County school district.

Chauvin, now 18, and her parents, LoriAnn and David Chauvin, have made good on that pledge with a lawsuit in Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Court against the district and the classmate who attacked her. Because the classmate is still a minor, she is being sued through her parents, identified as M.D. and P.D.

The suit, filed last week, seeks damages of over $15,000 for physical pain and suffering and medically related expenses. It alleges the School Board negligently failed to provide a safe environment for Chauvin and protect her from harassment on multiple occasions, and did not adequately supervise the student who attacked her. That student was walking out of in-school suspension when she attacked Chauvin. A male classmate recorded the beating and posted the video online.

The suit says the student had "an escalating and recidivist pattern of disruptive and aggressive conduct" at school, and was never properly disciplined by the School Board. In 2013, the district said the student would likely face suspension or expulsion.

District spokeswoman Melanie Parra said Friday the district had not received the complaint and could not comment.

The Chauvin family also is suing the student for battery and for suffering from the "loss of companionship, love, affection, solace and society of her child now and in the future."

Documents attached to the lawsuit show that John Thurber, the lawyer representing the Chauvin family, first filed claims against Calvin Hunsinger School one week after the February 2013 incident.

Neither Thurber nor the Chauvin family could be reached for comment.

Researcher John Martin contributed to this report. Contact Colleen Wright at cwright@tampabay.com or (727) 893-8643. Follow @Colleen_Wright.

Student targeted in 2013 attack at Calvin Hunsinger School sues Pinellas district 02/17/17 [Last modified: Friday, February 17, 2017 7:07pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. An attempt to project what Rays will look like in 2018

    The Heater

    BALTIMORE — We know what the Rays look like this year: a team that had enough talent but too many flaws, in construction and performance, and in the next few days will be officially eliminated from a wild-card race it had a chance to win but let slip away.

    Adeiny Hechavarria, high-fiving Lucas Duda, seems likely to be brought back.
  2. Trump fallout: Bucs' DeSean Jackson to make 'statement' Sunday

    Bucs

    Bucs receiver DeSean Jackson said Saturday that he will make a "statement" before today's game against the Vikings in response to President Donald Trump's comment that owners should "fire" players who kneel in protest during the national anthem.

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver DeSean Jackson (11) makes a catch during the first half of an NFL game between the Chicago Bears and Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla., on Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017.
  3. Kriseman invites Steph Curry to St. Pete on Twitter

    Blogs

    Mayor Rick Kriseman is no stranger to tweaking President Donald Trump on social media.

    Mayor Rick Kriseman took to Twitter Saturday evening to wade into President Donald Trump's latest social media scuffle
  4. Death toll, humanitarian crisis grow in Puerto Rico

    World

    SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — A humanitarian crisis grew Saturday in Puerto Rico as towns were left without fresh water, fuel, power or phone service following Hurricane Maria's devastating passage across the island.

    Crew members assess electrical lines in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria on Friday in Puerto Rico. Mobile communications systems are being flown in but “it’s going to take a while.”
  5. N. Korea says strike against U.S. mainland is 'inevitable'

    World

    North Korea's foreign minister warned Saturday that a strike against the U.S. mainland is "inevitable" because President Donald Trump mocked leader Kim Jong Un with the belittling nickname "little rocketman."